OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 16 13:22:01 UTC 2008

At 8:20 AM -0400 9/16/08, Charles Doyle wrote:
>There are (at least) two separate proverbs about rotten apples:
>"There's a rotten (bad) apple in every barrel (box)," and "One
>rotten apple spoils the whole barrel." The latter is at least as old
>as the 14th century, the former apparently of 20th-century coinage.
>
>An text from 1943 combines the two (or at least merges the ideas
>embodied in the two): "The proverbial one rotten apple in every
>barrel has already done its rotten work and corrupted most of its
>fellow apples" (_Los Angeles Times_ 7 Oct. 1943). Fred Shapire has
>found that example.
>
>--Charlie

To support the second of the two versions I mention below, there are
1530 raw g-hits for "[one] bad apple doesn't spoil..." (usual
continuations "the whole bunch", "the bunch", "the barrel"), and then
there are the "rotten apple" versions.  A lot more for the positive
counterparts, but the negative version isn't entirely unfruitful.

LH