YBQ in WSJ / "bottle in front of me" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 16 20:55:02 UTC 2008

Bill,

Thanks for these great findings on the "lobotomy" quote and for other excellent stuff you have posted in recent days.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mullins, Bill AMRDEC [Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 12:56 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: YBQ in WSJ / "bottle in front of me" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The referenced article quotes:
"Shapiro's favorite frivolous quotation: "I'd rather have a bottle in
front of me than a frontal lobotomy" (musician Tom Waits, Creem
magazine, 1978)."

"People" by Rip Rense, _The Valley News_ 12/29/1977 p 4

"Waits ... Has been quoted for such noteworthy phrases as "I'd rather
have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"."

"Deep Down In His Heart Steve Allen is Silly" by Don Freeman, Copley
News Service.  _[Danville VA] Bee_, Nov 26 1976, p. 19.
[Steve Allen is Dr. Mal Practice, being interviewed by Jayne Meadows]
"Jayne: "I was thinking of a prefrontal lobotomy."
Steve: "A free bottle in front of me? Listen, you need a prefrontal
lobotomy like you need a hole in your head."  "

>From context, it's not clear if the quote is contemporaneous, or a
sketch they had done in the 1950's.  In his book, _Make 'Em Laugh_
(1993), Allen describes writing this line "some years ago".

Paul Dickson in _The Official Explanations_ (1980) has this quote as
"Fred Allen's Motto"
(in the form "I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a
prefrontal lobotomy.")  Allen died in 1956, and I can find no connection
between this adage and Allen before 1980.