The Hathi Trust

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Sep 17 11:55:59 UTC 2008

Quoting Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>:

> Of vital interest to ADS-L'ers who have been stymied by Google Book Search:
>
> http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=602
>
> --Ben Zimmer

Thanks. Perhaps I was not explicit enough e.g. on 26 March* when I indicated I
found a text that Google Books limited and misdated at UMichigan library, with
a link to a Hathi Trust provided page.

There have been a number of very nice finds lately.

Has anyone heard a coherent explanation from Google why they would seemingly
needlessly limit the value and efficiency of Google Books by
restricting public
domain texts? (They have, e.g., some rare early 1600s stuff I'd really like to
read.)

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

*Wed, 26 Mar 2008:

FWIW, I doubt explanations of the "nine yards" that use identical units of
linear measure. To use an example (perhaps fairly typical of early
ones) that I
think so far has not appeared on this list--misdated at Google Books but a
digital copy available at UMichican library:

1970 April. The Approach; the Naval Aviation Safety Review. v.15
(1969-70) page
7:
In addition to having enough fuel you should be familiar with the geography of
the field, the obstructions, lighting, runway servicing facilities - in short
_the whole nine yards_.
http://sdr.lib.umich.edu/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015024193610;page=root;view=image;size=100;seq=519;num=7