from my inbox

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 18 13:37:03 UTC 2008

At 9:25 AM -0400 9/18/08, Doug_Harris wrote:
>Bank robber's note (seen on a Peodigy co-worker's
>cubicle wall: "This is a stickup. Everybody stay clam."
>cats22 (aka doug)

No doubt inspired by the Woody Allen bit in "Take the Money and Run"
from the late 60s in which Woody's would-be bank robber Virgil
Starkwell tries to hold up a bank but after he patiently waits in
line and gets to the teller, she informs him that his hold-up note
reads "I have a gub" and, despite his protests that the note really
does say "gun", the consensus of the other bank customers is that it
says "gub" and the robbery founders.  Not that "gub" and "gun" are
anagrams, but...

LH