"On the down-low" > "on the low-low" [NT]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 20 01:29:16 UTC 2008

It was just something said by some random player on one of the "Judge"
shows, today. Something about the fact that having to keep the
relationship on the low-low should have warned the woman suing him
that she was being fucked over.

Apparently, the down-low / low-low is not just for closeted gays, anymore.

Yet again, I regret the misunderstanding. FWIW, it has, in my
experience, been several years since "down-low" has been used WRT
straight relationships - four? five? - but I heard this variant,
"low-low," for the first time only today.

-Wilson

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "On the down-low" > "on the low-low" [NT]
>
> You wanna try that again, this time with content?
>
> Mark
>
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> --
>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>> -----
>> -Mark Twain

-----
-Mark Twain