Washington Post on Alaskan accents ... if there is such a thing

Andrea Morrow aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 20 13:56:31 UTC 2008

You might be interested in this link:
http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/state_AK.html

For those who haven't seen this before, then-Harvard professor Bert
Vaux created an online dialect survey and made it available from 2000-2005.
People who were interested in participating did so, and the results were
gathered and mapped.  The link above takes you to the results from those who
identified themselves as being from Alaska.

One unfortunate thing about the maps on the site is that they don't include
Alaska, so you can't get the data visually, but you can still compare the
numerical results from Alaska to the data from other states.  Another caveat
is that there are any number of sources of potential error and/or unresolved
questions. (Are repondents REALLY from Alaska?  How long have they lived in
Alaska?  What is their age, gender, and/or educational level and how did
that affect their responses?  How did their perception of the survey's
formality or informality affect their responses?  Etc.)

But it's kind of interesting anyway, and you can then look at video of Palin
and see if she is exhibiting any characteristics the survey identified as
being typical of Alaskans.

Andrea