"slurvian": WOTD ... 11 years ago?

Mon Sep 22 15:38:29 UTC 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 8:15 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> A correspondent tells me there is a piece in the Metro -- a free rag
> handed out on the MBTA in the Boston metro area -- on "slurvian", "a
> variant of English that is characterized by slurred pronunciation,"
> as word of the day.  The Metro cites wordspy.com, where it's archive
> item is described as posted Feb. 26, 1997.
>
> I suppose the Metro's masthead motto should be "All the news that was
> fit to print a decade ago ...

there are "word of the day" sites, mailing lists, and calendars and
the like all over the place (dictionary.com, merriam-webster, etc.).
along with all sorts of other "x of the day" (cartoon of the  day,
quotation of the day, poem of the day, even common-error-in-english-
usage of the day).  there's no claim that these offerings are recent.

arnold