ADS-L Digest - 21 Sep 2008 to 22 Sep 2008 (#2008-267)

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 23 04:51:00 UTC 2008

In a message dated 9/23/2008 12:00:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU writes:

In Saint  Louis, we never used "stood" as the past of "stay" (I didn't
hear it in the  wild till I was thirty-ish, ca.1967),

Interesting.  As a kid in central NYS, I often heard from the  older
generation (esp. the less-educated and/or foreign-born - if I recall  correctly;
that's what it seems like after 50 years): "I shoulda STOOD in  bed."  It was a
common response to greetings like, "How are you today?" or  "How's your day
going?", to mean that the speaker would have been better off if  he/she had STAYED
in bed all day, not getting up at all.  I always  found the idea of someone
standing in bed as a way to improve their life a  fascinating irony, cuz when I
stood on a bed, I got yelled at!

Rosemarie

You fall the way you  lean.