"long-term mediocre major-league pitchers"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 24 18:09:27 UTC 2008

At 12:52 PM -0400 9/24/08, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>My understanding of "mediocre" is something like 'not up to
>average'.  This is more or less confirmed by the American Heritage
>definition: "ADJECTIVE: Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary."

Note that "moderate...in quality" and "ordinary" are not
interchangeable with "inferior in quality" or "not up to average".
There's a range of application here.

>I'd say that "18 years, 9 different teams, lifetime 74-67, ERA 4.16"
>is extradordinary even when compared to most other major league
>baseball players, many of whom last less than one season. So this
>particular player, in my book, does not qualify as "mediocre" or
>even particularly ordinary.

Just to see if I was being idiosyncratic or unfair, I tried googling
"Kent Mercker" + mediocre.  From the first page of hits:

The problem is that as mediocre as Mercker has aspired to be for the
last couple of years,...
[from a BaseballProspectus web analysis for the 1999 Red Sox]

Kent Mercker, mediocre reliever and professional tattletale...
[from a blog on the 2004 Cubs]

I guess in that sense, Mercker is an upgrade; but I'd just as well
have Reyes or Thompson or Tavarez pitch in these situations that call
for leftys rather than adding a mediocre left-hander. [from a blog on
the 2005 Orioles]

His [K.M.'s] fantasy value gets a boost from a few extra saves, but
his numbers will otherwise be pretty mediocre.
[from a fantasy blog on the 2006 Cincinnati Reds]

Another postings cite his "mediocre" work, talents, or status as a
member of the Indians, Red Sox, etc.

At least if my judgment is off, I'm not alone!

LH