ADS-L Digest - 22 Sep 2008 to 23 Sep 2008 (#2008-268)

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 25 04:03:59 UTC 2008

In a message dated 9/24/2008 12:01:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU writes:

BE _due to the fact that_ = "because"

This time, it was used by a  thirty-ish, black-male speaker from Dade
County, Florida. But this phrase  is used by black speakers of all
social levels in all levels of speech from  coast to coast. It''s often
reduced to "dewd/dood th' fack that" [dIw:/du:d  T@ f&k T&t]."

This phrase is *extremely* common in the 'hood  and has been for as
long as I've been able to understand English.  *Everybody* - from
street thugs to college professors - uses it! But, I'm  not sure that
I've heard any white person use it.

So, my trivial  question is:

Do white folks also use this?

Are you  kidding?  I've heard TONS of people of ALL colors use this.  "Due to
 the fact that" does not discriminate!

Rosemarie

The opinions expressed are solely those  of the author. You go get your own
opinions!

--  BE