Websters dictionary mandates no "r" at the end of words

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 26 21:19:40 UTC 2008

I've started collecting dictionaries, interested in the various pronunciation guide notations.

The Barnes and Noble "Webster's Student Dictionary - Newly Revised Edition" 1999 says: "-r is never pronounced at the end of words, but when a word ending in -r is followed by a vowel, the -r can be pronounced."

Barnes and Noble is a USA company.  The book is said to be an "American Edition".  However, the editor is Britisher P.H. Collin, which explains the "r" dropping.  The word color is spell colour.  Farm is /fa:m/.  The notation appears to be the English-unfriendly SAMPA, which is partly a British creation.  I can't replicate it here because of the special symbols.

Apparently, Barnes and Noble purchased the rights to the British dictionary from UK's Harrap Publishing and merely marketed it in USA with minimal change.  Webster's it's not, and American it's not.  I hope they corrected these mistakes.

Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.