proper dialects

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 1 20:49:24 UTC 2009

Paul,  I've noticed some BBC announcers picking up US words.

I think if a standard dialect were taught in USA schools, along with the truespel 40 phoneme set, the instructor could teach them to students and compare standard to local pronunciation.  Kids would get it and do what they wish.  I think the instructor would have leverage to steer pronunciation toward the alphabetical principle reversing the capricious trends away from it.

from
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/jemima-lewis/5067157/A-childs-speech-is-still-a-class-issue.html

A child's speech is still a class issue
Jemima Lewis
Last Updated: 5:44PM GMT 28 Mar 2009

Tucked away among the many controversial proposals in Sir Jim Rose's planned overhaul of primary school education is this strikingly retro idea: children should be taught to speak properly. If the new curriculum goes ahead, children aged 7 to 11 will learn to "adjust what they say according to the formality of the context", and to eschew such telling expressions as "I ain't".

It is a good idea, fraught with hazards. For starters, what counts as "proper" speech these days? Is it about grammar and vocabulary, or verbal dexterity, or – heaven forfend – accent?  Is it, in fact, about class?
(click link for more)

see truespel.com