7-Eleven

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 6 20:15:32 UTC 2009

Is there any evidence that he meant it to mean generic 'convenience store'?
This looks to me like an everyday metonymy using a typical example to stand
for an entire class of referents. What if he'd said "... until 3:00, when
they walk out of school and around the corner and pick up a Hershey bar"?
Would that make "Hershey bar" mean 'generic high-calorie snack food'?

The absence of an article is a different question, but still not unusual,
7-Eleven being enough of an institution, and ubiquitous enough, that it
doesn't matter which one: they're everywhere, and they're all the same.

Mark Mandel