"snap"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Apr 8 12:20:52 UTC 2009

Perhaps related, perhaps not: I've seen references to some African
American folklore collections by Smitherman titled _Snaps_ and
_Double Snaps_ related to playing the dozens. Witty
comebacks/put-downs?

I've heard my kids talk about the use of "snap": they don't use it,
but classmates do. It's used it to mark/emphasize/punctuate a
zinger/put-down. Much like below. But not just in gay culture. My
kids associate it with girls in their classes. I don't think I've
heard it around campus in passing.

I've read, but haven't heard, that the one that is used in the Boston
area is "salted!" See recent BG Magazine article.

---Amy West