boo (interj. 1800, v. 1833)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 9 14:46:01 UTC 2009

Ca.1955, All-American football player, later the Presbyterian
minister, the Rev. Donn Moomaw, played center for UCLA. When he ran
out onto the field, the fans chanted, "Moo-oo-oo-ma-a-w!"

This is the earliest case, IME, in which the announcers felt the need
to explain that the (UCLA) fans were not booing the player.

FWIW, The Rev. Moomaw became Ronald Reagan's personal Rev. Billy
Graham, until it was discovered that, though Moomaw had retired from
the sport, he was still a player in the game, tapping the arse of some
five different women, in addition to that of his wife.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain