boo (interj. 1800, v. 1833)

Geoffrey S. Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Apr 10 10:34:07 UTC 2009

While it's not an earliest cite, I remember a Chicago Blackhawk's hockey player in the early sixties named Elmer Vasko whose nickname was 'Moose', and the fans yelled 'Mooooooose' whenever he had possession of the puck. As with other cited examples, play by play announcers such as Foster and Bill Hewitt always explained that fans were not booing.
While doing research for this post I found a very extensive hockey database:
hockeydb.com

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)