X-napping

Fri Apr 10 17:35:46 UTC 2009

Victor wrote:

> Just heard on the BBC: "Bossnapping is becoming more common." Actually,
> it sound more like "bos-snapping" (distinct double-s).

The term has become extremely common in the UK in the past couple of
weeks, its usage rising steeply from nowhere. Variant forms now include
the verb "bossnap", the noun "bossnapper" and the adjective "bossnapped".
See my piece last week:

    http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/pjzb.htm#N4

    http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-bos1.htm

--