relish in and plummaging, possible eggcorns?

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 12 00:09:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:

> well, there's no reason to think these *are* eggcorns.  there are all
> sorts of reshapings and non-standard word choices that aren't eggcorns.
>
> these are nice examples of malapropisms, probably with contributions
> from two items in each case.

I've always understood "malapropism" to refer to a misuse of an existing
word (read now: lexical item) in place of one that bears some phonological
similarity to it. As neologisms, neither "plummaging" nor "relishing in"
fits that definition. Have we an apter term?

Mark Mandel