lookit

Sun Apr 12 15:44:54 UTC 2009

I have a related query. Is "looky here" really "look ye here", "looky
here" (with preserved Class 2 Weak verb ending, whether original or
restructured as an intransitive marker) or something else?  It could
have crossed the Pool with nearly anyone, if the first, Southwestern
Englishmen, if the second, but I don't know what its American
geographical distribution was.  Knowing that might help, as certain
areas attracted more Southwesterners than others.

Paul Johnston