Antedating of "Tarheel" Meaning North Carolinian

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 02:08:57 UTC 2009

Bear in mind that the "tar" referred to is _pine tar_, made from the
sap of pine trees and not coal tar or the sludge  left over from
petroleum-refining.

Is the name of the _Tar_ River, which flows through that area, of any relevance?

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain