basketful

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Apr 15 17:17:00 UTC 2009

"a basketful" is often used to convey 'a lot'.  here are some examples
which have moved on to things that couldn't be put in an actual basket:

New York Times commentary by Eduardo Porter, "The Perils of Progress",
3/30/09, p. A26:

Still, I can't help thinking that repackaging the future as a
basketful of promise is a con.

http://www.chronogram.com/issue/2009/4/Music/Basketful-of-Noise

... the band is a kind of nose-thumbing, willfully tuneless, acid-
damaged, psychedelic noise unit very much akin to early Butthole
Surfers or San Francisco’s legendary Flipper ...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/04/its_your_country_too_mr_presid.html

Our president came bearing a basketful of mea culpas.

archive.gulfnews.com/gnfocus/india2007_jan/more_stories/10099373.html

Gulfnews: a basketful of delights