"pluperfect hell"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 15 17:36:58 UTC 2009

Can anybody help with this one? Google Book gives a number of hits for
"pluperfect hell," none earlier than God's Little Acre; e.g.,

BILLY Now give yourself pluperfect hell. Jerry Wald et al., "Brother
Rat" (play), 1936

If the President did not know what was going on around him, he should
have found out pretty quickly, even, as Ervin said, if he had to raise
"pluperfect hell" and call in John Mitchell and Maurice Stans and
demand an explanation." Paul R. Clancy, Just a Country Lawyer, 1974

What's the source of this? Is it regional?

Geoff

Begin forwarded message: