Antedating of "Tarheel" Meaning North Carolinian

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Apr 16 03:45:26 UTC 2009

Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Antedating of "Tarheel" Meaning North Carolinian
>
> The OED's first use for _Tarheel_ is dated 1864.
>
> Just to make sure Jesse has this for the OED, the earliest known usage of _Tarheel_ meaning specifically a North Carolinian is apparently in a Feb. 6, 1863 entry in the diary of William B. A. Lowrance:
>
> http://ncrec.dcr.state.nc.us/Cat/CatServer.asp?WCI=MainEp&WCE=CatV1&WCU=509.16
>
> This web page, which also describes other early _Tarheel_ usages, has an image of the diary, but I'm not sure where there is an OED-citable printed version of the diary entry.
>
> Fred Shapiro

-

Here is another 1863 instance, from N'archive:

----------

_North Carolina Standard_ [Raleigh NC], 3 June 1863: p. '2':

[letter from Sgt. G. W. Timberlake, N. C. Troops, dated 9 May 1863]

[description of battle on 3 May 1863]

<<The troops from other States call us "Tar Heels." I am proud of the
name, as tar is a sticky substance, and the "Tar Heels" stuck up like a
sick kitten to a hot brick, while many others from a more oily State
slipped to the rear, and left the "Tar Heels" to stick it out.>>

I note that the 'usual' antebellum term for "North Carolinians"
apparently was not "tar heels" but rather "tar boilers", which 'makes
more sense'.

It looks as though there may have been a little interstate rivalry from
time to time, and it might could be that the "troops from other States"
did not use "tar heel" with exactly the same interpretation as that
offered by Sgt. Timberlake.

-- Doug Wilson