Heard on The Judges: another feature of St. Louis BE

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 16 20:12:19 UTC 2009

Two mid-twenty-ish, black women discussing an automobile accident:

Both women clearly pronounced "bar, car" [-ar] as "bore, core." [-Or].
(The case involved drinking and driving.)

One of the women described the other one as having "lef' _up_ out
_of_"one of the bars.

"Leave out" a location = 'leave" a location is usual in (Northern) BE,
but "leave _up_ out _of_" is surprisingly Southern for Saint Louis.
But, of course, it's been fifty years since I last lived there.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain