waxing_____________?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 19 22:02:25 UTC 2009

At 4:11 PM -0400 4/19/09, Alison Murie wrote:
>'But his overall tone is a gentle one, as he tries to demystify his
>diet by devoting a chapter to "A Day in the Life of a Vegan," in which
>he characterizes himself as "cooking-challenged," while waxing about
>the nutty flavor of organic avocadoes.'
>--from an article in  Salon on Jeffrey Masson.
>
>Subtle effort to engage the reader by making him(her) supply the
>"eloquent" or "poetic" or whatever??
>AM

Maybe edited down from "waxing on about", which might have struck
someone as odd because of the two prepositions in a row?  As it is,
it conjures up the image of waxed organic avocados, which doesn't
seem right.  (I don't think organic avocados, or even inorganic Hass
ones, should really have to put up with that -es plural either--seems
more appropriate for those awful tasteless oversized "avocadoes" from
Florida.)

LH