quoted with comments

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 29 14:17:26 UTC 2009

At 3:45 AM -0700 4/29/09, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
>http://www.fitsnews.com/2009/04/28/today-in-political-correctness/
>
><quote>
>In the most babyish political move since Governor Mark Sanford's
>tear-shed, Israeli Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman has renamed
>the "Swine Flu."

Actually, the association of pork producers, whatever it's called,
has already weighed in on this, but not for religious reasons.  Since
it's from a combo of bird, human, and pig sources, they would like us
henceforth to distribute the blame by referring to the proto-pandemic
as "Hybrid Flu".  Presumably, Toyota will not be pleased.  But I see
there are already >2000 g-hits for "hybrid flu", most of them
apparently relevant.

LH, also noting for the record Jon Stewart's suggestion that the most
plausible way an infectious disease with such components might have
originated is from some guy...having sex with a turkey club sandwich.