"store" 'restaurant'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 30 13:32:36 UTC 2009

At 1:27 AM -0400 4/30/09, Victor wrote:
>I've heard the same at Starbucks and at oil-change (e.g., Jiffy-Lube)
>and tire chains (e.g., NTB) as well (no, the latter two would not be
>restaurants by any stretch of imagination). Generally, I can also
>confirm corporate-speak refers to franchises as "stores" irrespectively
>of what it is that they actually sell. Domino's, Panera, Starbucks and
>McDonald's all have "stores" despite radically different kinds of
>service each of them provides. On a different note, which of these might
>be called "restaurant" in any jargon?
>
>    VS-)

For me, Panera is a restaurant (as well as a take-out shop) and
McDonald's is a (fast-food) restaurant.  Starbucks is a coffee shop,
sort of.  I admit I'd hesitate there.  Domino's isn't a restaurant
because you don't sit down and eat there.  At the first two you do,
at Starbucks you mostly sit and drink (I guess "coffee shop" is like
"bar" in that respect), and at Domino's you order.

LH