"restaurant"

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Thu Apr 30 18:38:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:08:34 -0700, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
wrote:

> depending on what "served" means in this context, the "served on the
> premises" clause might exclude all sorts of places where you pick up
> food at a counter and can then eat it at tables provided by the
> establishment (or take it away): in many grocery stores, in many
> sandwich shops, in many cafes and coffee shops, in some delicatessens
> and cheese shops, in some bagel houses and bakeries, etc.  and Panera,
> which describes itself as a "bakery-cafe" and serves sandwiches,
> soups, and salads as well as baked goods -- but you order at a counter.

What about if it is a pub (you order at the bar but are served the food at
the table)? What about gastropubs (high quality of food and service, but
you still sometimes order at the bar, even though I've seen some with full
table service)?

Cheers,

Chris Waigl