I'd've

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 3 14:33:27 UTC 2009

At 8:06 AM +0000 8/3/09, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>What's a "raw g-hit"?

Google hits, the number reported by google in the upper right corner,
without inspection for overlaps and repetitions.

>How does one evaluate it?  Is 137,000 raw g-hits a lot?

It's significantly more than zero.  Hits on the first several pages
all seem genuine, and distinct.  This indicates that the contraction
is question is widely used, especially since each search is conducted
on a separate variant.

>One of the lowest frequency words in the British National Corpus of
>100M hits is "abided" with only 6 hits  according to
>ftp://ftp.itri.bton.ac.uk/bnc/all.num.o5  How many raw g-hits does
>"abided" get?

435,000.  You can discover this on your own by clicking on
"www.google.com" and putting in [abided], without the brackets.

LH