I'm all about that

Ann Burlingham ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM
Tue Aug 4 02:05:24 UTC 2009

Listening to the head of Al Jazeera English on Diane Rehm this
morning, his use of the phrase, about the US, that something-or-other
"is what this country is all about" struck me - is it a cliche, or
veritably a snowclone? And what *is* this country all about (Are other
countries all about other things? Many, many other things?)

Apparently, opinions vary widely (a few of the first ghits):

The romance of aviation and space it's barn kids to dream is what this
country is all about

"Hallie Stillwell Is What This Country Is All About"

In that sense, religion is what this country is all about.

Being free to satirize an American president is what this country is all about.

Enterprise, that is what this country is all about: Enterprise!

“Immigration is good for this country; immigration is what this
country is all about; immigration is being an American.

Being able to protest as long as you don't infringe on someone else's
right's is what this country is all about.

 I also like the "Letters" section (though they raise my blood
pressure and piss me off frequently), for that is what this country is
all about

Obama is what this country is all about

Free speech and the right to your opinion is what this country is all about

Constant renewal is what this country is all about.

The Will of the People is what this Country is all about.

Patriotism and Honor of our fallen Heroe's is what this country is all about

Participation is what this country is all about.

LIFE, LIBERTY, and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS is what this country is all about.

...people's money to buy appreciating and cash flow generating assets
is the purest act of modern day capitalism and is what this country is
all about.

That is what this country is all about. But you have to earn your way
up. Not just "affirmative action" your way up. (Hey! Is that a verb
there? - Ann)

Spam is what this country is all about, two cars in every garage and a
pig in every can.

And someone did notice--

“This is what this country is all about,” he affirmed, though what
“this” is was not clear.

... And so many more. This all cried out to me to put into poetry or
song form. Possibly to the tune of the Hokey Pokey - that's what it's
all about. Perhaps something like this,
a-one, a-two and

You put the left wing in, you put the left wing out
you put the left wing in and shake it all about.
Free speech, diversity, multi-ethnicity,
that's what it's all about.
You put the right wing in, you put the right wing out,
you put the right wing in and shake it all about
Patriotism, purity, capitalism, security
That's what it's all about

-Ann, sorry for the earworm, I didn't see it coming either, folks