Heard on The Judges: "_for_ to"

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Aug 4 16:30:56 UTC 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:35 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> Late-teen-aged, black male college student from Ohio, using
> Northern-BE phonology, i.e. r-ful, "right" [raIt]:
>
> "I went to college _for_ to do the right thing."
>

> I know that the continued use of "for to" is hardly startling, but the
> fact that it was used by such a young, Northern person I thought might
> be of peripheral interest.

i'm away from my copy of DARE, and failed to locate an entry for "for
to" by searching DARE on-line... so can anyone report on what's known
about the social and regional distribution of "for to" in current
English?  (the OED is, of course, not of much use here, since it gives
older examples and merely reports that the usage is obsolete "in
educated use".)

arnold