Trivial note on pronunciation: forehead

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 6 02:46:43 UTC 2009

Exactly. That's where I learned the pronunciation in the first place.
Needless to say, we're not the only two people in the English-speaking
world who learned this rhyme as children. Nevertheless, after people
learn how to read, many of them switch to the spelling- pronunciation.
And, if a peron grows up in a 4head-speaking family, it may very well
be the case that, for such a person, "forrid" does not have a
real-world referent.

I once discussed this with a 4head-speaker. She argued that "4head'
has always been the proper pronunciation. The pronunciation "forrid"
is merely a distortion necessary to make "forehead" rhyme with
"horrid."

Well, that's a reanalysis of the history of the pronunciations that's
impossible to refute in a casual conversation.

-Wilson

<
> There was a little girl
> Who had a little curl