Trivial note on pronunciation: forehead

Fri Aug 7 00:31:03 UTC 2009

Tom,
I've never heard the /k/ dropped in fact anyplace in the UK, and I've
studied their dialects since the '70s.  What I have heard is the /t/
dropped, as in  AAVE and other American vernaculars, and a
possibility of the final /k/, like final /t/, turning into glottal
stop, so that fat and fact may merge as [fa?] or I suppose [fae?] in
the South of England.  In careful speech, though, the same speakers
who do that will separate them, and the /k/ pops back in in fact,
while fat will either have /t/ or the glottal stop

Paul Johnston.