another fake quote

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 7 15:31:08 UTC 2009

Go ahead. Google for the following quotation. See what you get:

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

I get well over 5000 RGs.  Oh, I forgot to mention. The words are attributed
to "Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945."

If you think Eleanor ever said, wrote or even thunk these words, raise your
hand.

I don't see any hands.

The passage seems to have appeared in 2002/03. Delete the phrase "of
animals" and the number of RGs more than triples.

Perhaps it was originally floated by a foreign power wishing to discredit
American society and Eleanor Roosevelt as well as the Marines. If so, it
didn't work. Independent USMC-related sites enthusiastically endorse it.
Posters to these sites seem to think it's a superb recommendation of just
those qualities the Devil Dogs need as Official Guardians of At Least Some
of Heaven's Scenes.

JL