196 years o' braggin'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 8 01:46:31 UTC 2009

At 5:44 PM -0400 8/7/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>  What follows was drafted in the summer of 2004, but never sent so far as I
>can tell. The phone must have rung or something:
>

>I was passing through Houston International last month when I happened to
>fall in with a trio of welders back home from a Vegas vacation.
>
>At one point the eldest man, who'd been talking about retirement, casually
>said, "I can weld anything but a broken heart."
>
>The second eldest said, "I can weld anything I can jump across."
>
>The youngest, who looked to be in his late thirties, said, "I can weld the
>crack of dawn."
>
>  Cool enough, right?  Now get a load of this:

Shades of Mike Fink, keelboater of legend, who also had an
interesting heritage, as reported e.g. at:

http://www.bartonpara.com/discog/today/mikefink.html

Well, my daddy was a bear in the Allegheny Mountains
And my mother was a 'gator in the Ohio.
I was born full-growed at the forks of the river
And I cut my teeth on a catfish bone.

Oh, my name is Mike Fink, I'm a keelboat poler,
I'm a half-alligator and I ride tornaders,
And I can out-feather, out-jump, out-hop, out-skip,
Throw down and lick any man on the river.

LH