"sexual" (adj)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 10 13:39:01 UTC 2009

At 8/9/2009 11:56 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Ah, a definite change since last I taught that class (a year ago).  I
>should have rechecked before posting.  It's nice to see the old entry
>up as well, so it's possible to appreciate the progress from the
>classic entry "That feeling of attachment which is based upon
>difference of sex; the affection which subsists between lover and
>sweetheart and is the normal basis of marriage"--which somehow
>manages to proscribe both same-sex erotic attraction and traditional
>(non-erotic-love-based) marriage--to the current, admirably neutral
>"An intense feeling of romantic attachment which is based on sexual
>attraction; sexual passion combined with liking and concern for the
>other person."

So understanding this sense of "love" requires knowing what "sexual"
(adj) can mean.

Draft rev. June 2009 includes:

3.b   Relating to or affecting the genitals or reproductive
organs.  [I'd always wondered what those were for.]
and
5.a.  Relating to, tending towards, or involving sexual intercourse,
or other forms of intimate physical contact.

OK.  But I'm puzzled how the following help define "sexual", rather
than being circular:

4.b.  Of or relating to sexuality as a social or cultural phenomenon;
regarding sexual conduct."
and
4.c.   c. Characterized by sexual instincts or feelings, or the
capacity for these; possessing or displaying sexuality.

Or do I have to understand "sexual conduct" and "sexual instincts or
feelings" via some other sense of "sexual"?

Joel