More on "moist"

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Aug 10 14:58:19 UTC 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 7:39 AM, Alison Murie wrote:

> Erica Jong brought moist panties out into the open, so to speak, an
> image that many women probably found embarrassing, & thus offensive.
> I wonder if the moistness aversion didn't do a considerable leap after
> that time.

anyone have quotes from Jong (with dates)?  (this seems not to have
been covered in earlier discussions of "moist".)

an addendum:

from back in 2007, from a commenter in a poll on cringe words here:
    http://jaylake.livejournal.com/1257691.html

   Because of this association, I had a friend in high school who used
to call barely-pubescent girls "moisties."
   As in "Those moisties just tried to bum cigarettes off me."

arnold