"Shape up or ship out"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 10 15:25:49 UTC 2009

The secret HDAS files have nothing on this phrase before OED (1958 is the
earliest).  My evidence suggests that it become common in civilian life in
the mid to late 1950s. None of my exx. seem to refer to the 1940s.  I first
heard it from my seventh grade history teacher, Mr. O'Brien, an army veteran
of WWII, in 1959.

But the "SHAPE up" version is, to my mind, almost self-evidently based on an
earlier "shape up."

JL