preggers

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 11 16:58:07 UTC 2009

After "preg" the rest can pretty much autofill.

We thought we made up a word "dunch" to mean a meal between dinner and lunch.  Turns out it's around.  There're more raw google hits on linner, but that's also the name of a company.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dunch

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:55:18 -0400
> From: bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
> Subject: Re: preggers
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> Subject: Re: preggers
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM, George Thompson
> wrote:
>>
>> This is perhaps an example of what is called, I think, the "Oxford 'er' -- a
>> practice among Oxford students of forming words by truncating a standard word
>> and adding 'er' -- "brekkers" (breakfast)? I have only dim memories of
> reading
>> a discussion of this, by an author who who took the practice as representative
>> of English slang, compared its inanity with the vigor of American slang, and
>> decided that we need look no further for the reason why the sun set upon the
>> British Empire.
>
> More here, with many examples:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_%22-er%22
>

> --Ben Zimmer