New eponym

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 12 17:18:18 UTC 2009

At 9:43 AM -0400 8/12/09, Steve Kl. wrote:
>Herbert and Eve Clark have discussed this phenomenon extensively over the
>past several decades and it's a theme in many of their books and papers.

e.g. "When nouns surface as verbs", _Language_, 1979.  The classic is
"Houdini [(oneself) out of a situation]", but there was also
"Rosemary Woods'ed the tape".  There's also a Simon and Garfunkel
song that manufactures a whole bunch of eponymic passive
participles...let's see, yes, it's "A Simple Desultory Philippic"
(they don't make song titles like they useta):
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/7379/

First verse:

I been Norman Mailered, Maxwell Taylored.
I been John O'Hara'd, McNamara'd.
I been Rolling Stoned and Beatled till I'm blind.
I been Ayn Randed, nearly branded
Communist, 'cause I'm left-handed.
That's the hand I use, well, never mind!

etc.

LH