Why Is Dick a nickname for Richard

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 13 16:01:35 UTC 2009

At 11:42 PM +0800 8/13/09, Russ McClay wrote:
>Hey, my dad was called Dick so I was curious.
>Here's something I found. Any comments? lol

If this is a real question and you're seeking a real answer, as
opposed to those below, I'd look for explanations based on
articulatory phonetics and acquisition (and maybe a bit of
markedness). [r] is learned relatively late by children, so a
neighboring "easier" sound is substituted:  if the child retains
voicing and articulatory position (alveolar) but changes manner of
articulation, the [r] turns into [d].  Affricates are tricky too, so
[k], voiceless velar stop, replaces [C], voiceless palatal affricate
(in lieu of a palatal stop).  Similarly, for "William", [b] is
mastered before [w], they're both voiced bilabials, so the former is
called on to replace the latter.  And enough kids were doing this to
result in the hypocoristics becoming standardized.  At least that
seems more reasonable than any of the below.

LH