jackpot

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 16 01:04:56 UTC 2009

At 6:52 PM -0400 8/15/09, Sam Clements wrote:
>Some obscure researcher named Jon Lighter seems to have that from 1887, in
>HDAS.
>
>Why the OED can't make this a separate word listing, I can't understand.
>
>Of course, Jesse, who obviously either has (1) no life or (2) has a cell
>phone which mimics the "bat signal," and he magically appears here when
>anything concerning OED appears.  :)
>
>Sam Clements

He also (magically or not) appeared in Ammon Shea's entertaining "On
Language" column in today's, or rather tomorrow's, NYT Magazine.
I've heard Shea speak and was put off by him, but I quite enjoyed his
piece on "dated definitions: the quirky charm (and sad passing) of
archaic dictionary entries".  I can't post the link here since it
hasn't gone online yet.

LH