more Chinese-to-English translation fail(ure)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Aug 16 05:26:28 UTC 2009

--

No doubt that's why the error.

http://us.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=tian1hua1

But can someone satisfy my idle curiosity ....

(1) Why is smallpox called "sky-flower" or so?

(2) Why is the ceiling called "sky-flower" or so?

Are these virtually-opaque compounds like, say, "under" + "stand" =
"understand" in English?

Are there interesting and true/plausible Chinese-etymology-stories?

I guess maybe I can imagine why the "flower" in "smallpox" and why the
"sky" in "ceiling" but ....

(Apologies for being a little OT)

-- Doug Wilson