another one from a post!

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Sun Aug 16 19:58:05 UTC 2009

And, while I am at it, and in an anti-establishment mood and, further, in a
mood to communicate such anti-establishmentarianism, I shall add the
following: If eggcorn has to go through 37 filters, checks, verifications
and, finally, the eggcorn approval board, which appears to be composed of
one member, then, screw it, eggcorn is probably not really a viable lexical
category.

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Arnold Zwicky
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:34 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: another one from a post!

On Aug 16, 2009, at 9:44 AM, David A. Daniel wrote:

> And yet another eggcorn!!! ... there are still a tone of
> them on the internet :)

people are way too quick to cry "eggcorn".

i'd let Julia Achenbach speak for herself, but i'll bet she pronounces
the word as [t^n] (or something close to that), not [ton].  what
"tone" looks like here is an orthographic compromise between the
British spelling TONNE and the American spelling TON.  nothing
eggcornish about it at all, i'd suppose.

arnold