deixis

Julia Achenbach julia.achenbach at UNI-OLDENBURG.DE
Mon Aug 17 10:14:21 UTC 2009

> This word is not in the OED.
>
> The pronunciation is given as /??da??ks??s/ in a few sources (like Wells,
> and Wiktionary).  Wikipedia says it is from Ancient Greek ????????????.
> Does anyone know the original pronunciation of that?

--- as far as I know ancient Greek words are pronounced the same way they
are spelled, because no one knows for sure how the Greeks pronounced them.
(they refused to record them on tape :)) At least in German. I am not too
sure whether or not the same goes for English.

> Are there other Ancient-Greek-derived words that have "ei" pronounced
> /ai/?

> --
> Randy Alexander
> Jilin City, China
> My Manchu studies blog:
> http://www.bjshengr.com/manchu

"He, who lives upon hope, will die farting"
[allegedly] Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)