[C18-L] Help with Latin translations

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 17 13:44:32 UTC 2009

I would appreciate comments on whether my translations of the
following Latin phrases are sufficiently accurate.  Warning (or
teaser) -- X-rated content follows.

"penetratio corporis" = penetration of the body.

"fricatio usque ad effusionem seminis" = friction resulting in
emission of semen.

"per modum concubitus" = in the manner of copulation.

For the compulsive, these come from letters written in 1642 by
"reverend elders" of the Plymouth Colony to Gov. Bellingham of
Massachusetts, in response to his question about under what
circumstances acts of sodomy were capital offenses.  From William
Bradford, _Of Plymouth Plantation_, ed. Samuel Eliot Morison (Knopf,
1952), pages 404 and 407.

Thanks!
Joel

     To leave C18-L or adjust your subscription, click here:
        http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=C18-L&A=1
                To search the C18-L Archives:
             http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=C18-L
          Selected Readings, C18-L's online bibliography:
       http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/sr/sr.htm
                    The C18-L Home Page:
        http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/c18-l.htm