[C18-L] Help with Latin translations

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 17 16:04:54 UTC 2009

Thanks, Wilson.  Gotta get out the old _Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis_
(London: Bloomsbury, 2003).

"Dominus et Domina Dursley, quae vivebant in aedibus Gestationis Ligustrorum
numero quattuor signatis,..."

JL

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: [C18-L] Help with Latin translations

> Definitely good enough for government work.
>
> Back in that day, _concubitus_ may have been thought of as "lying
> together" and not as "copulation," but that's just a WAG on my part.
>
> _Usque ad_ = "(all the way) up to," "even unto," like that.
>
> -Wilson
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net> wrote:
>  > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> > Subject:      [C18-L] Help with Latin translations

> > I would appreciate comments on whether my translations of the
> > following Latin phrases are sufficiently accurate.  Warning (or
> > teaser) -- X-rated content follows.
> >
> > "penetratio corporis" = penetration of the body.
> >
> > "fricatio usque ad effusionem seminis" = friction resulting in
> > emission of semen.
> >
> > "per modum concubitus" = in the manner of copulation.
> >
> > For the compulsive, these come from letters written in 1642 by
> > "reverend elders" of the Plymouth Colony to Gov. Bellingham of
> > Massachusetts, in response to his question about under what
> > circumstances acts of sodomy were capital offenses.  From William
> > Bradford, _Of Plymouth Plantation_, ed. Samuel Eliot Morison (Knopf,
> > 1952), pages 404 and 407.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Joel
> >
> > -:-:-:--:-:-:--:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
> >     To leave C18-L or adjust your subscription, click here:
> >        http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=C18-L&A=1
> >                To search the C18-L Archives:
> >             http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=C18-L
> >          Selected Readings, C18-L's online bibliography:
> >       http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/sr/sr.htm
> >                    The C18-L Home Page:
> >        http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/c18-l.htm

> --
> -Wilson
> –––
> -----
> -Mark Twain

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"