"the whole schlemiel"

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Aug 20 22:44:25 UTC 2009

The word 'shpil' means not only 'story' but also 'play', in both senses (it's the same semantic extension as English), both in German and in Yiddish (note Wagner's Singspiel for example).
'Whole shlemil' is undoubtedly a malapropism, although the original target is somewhat unclear, as others have said.
'Whole mishpokhe' is, of course, different in meaning ('the whole family' rather than 'the whole thing (as in 'I can't believe I ate...').
The preceding benefited from discussion with Margaret Winters, whom some of you know, and who *is* to some extent a Yiddish scholar.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)