spicket and spigot

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Aug 23 03:02:04 UTC 2009

--

DARE hasn't gotten to "sp-" yet. However Vol. 5 is expected to show
"spicket" when it appears.

Others here must know much better than I about this.

"Spigot"/"spicket" has had the pronunciation with /k/ at least as a
variant since pre-1400, it seems. I think "spicket" or so is a usual
pronunciation in Scots and in various dialects of England. I think in
the US "spigot"/"spicket" is considered more usual in Southern and
Midland dialects as opposed to "faucet" or "tap" in the North (I'm sure
there is plenty of overlap).

An article in AS in 1948 asserted that the US pronunciation of
"spigot"/"spicket" was [almost] invariably /spIkEt/ [sic] wherever it
was an everyday word (apparently Southern and maybe Midland), /spIg at t/
being only a "book" pronunciation. [Whether the /E/ versus /@/ (schwa)
is claimed to be an essential distinction is not clear to me from a
quick browse of this article.] Other articles seem to show less
unanimity, but it seems the /k/ pronunciation is frequent.

MW3 shows this "spicket" ("chiefly Southern and Midland") /spIk at t/.

Where/when I grew up in MI, I think the most usual everyday word was
"faucet", but "tap" and "spigot" were also quite routine as I recall. I
hear all three in PA these days, but I can't say what the relative
frequencies are.

Me, I would say "spigot" with a /g/ (I'm a bookish person, maybe); I
can't say how often I've heard it with /k/ since I probably wouldn't
have usually noticed the difference.

-- Doug Wilson