Crack the door

Mark Mandel Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 27 17:41:50 UTC 2009

I use this fairly often in-family to mean 'open the window just a crack', in
the house and the car. I'm fully aware of the possible misunderstanding, but
it seems to be thoroughly precluded by context and common sense.

I can't get the meaning 'close it just a crack'. I can see it logically, as
"close it until the opening is (only as wide as) a crack", but it doesn't
work for me. I DO say, e.g., "Leave it open just a crack."

m a m